A 2.5 inch SSD is a simple, easy, and effective method to enhance the performance of any laptop or desktop computer that currently uses a spinning hard disk drive. Solid state drives like a 2.5 inch SSD have the advantage over hard disk drives in speed, durability, and reliability because there are no moving parts and more modern and effective access methodologies.
If you decide to install a 2.5 inch SSD in your notebook or desktop computer, you can expect faster data transfer speeds, faster bootups, faster application load times, quieter and cooler operation, and more reliable operation.
Interested in learning about other data storage solutions? Be sure to see our other articles about some of the best!
- 2 TB External Hard Drive: Top 7 Best Rated Portable External Hard Drives
- Thunderbolt SSD Hard Drive: Top 5 External Thunderbolt 1TB SSD Drives
- External Solid State Drive: Top 5 External 512GB SSD Storage
- External Blu Ray Drive: 6 Top Rated Blu Ray Writers
Price-wise, solid state drives are still more expensive per gigabyte than mechanical, spinning drives, but the advantages of an SSD hard drive are so great, that many users are making the switch despite the price difference. Of course, every day that goes by, SSD prices are coming down and soon they will completely replace mechanical drives in laptops and desktop computers.
A 2.5 inch SSD has so much better performance and reliability than its mechanical counterpart at any size, that it’s hard to find a name brand drive that gets low marks, but what should you consider when buying one?
You’re looking for an internal drive and the most important consideration when purchasing a solid state drive is how much data storage space you need. The price sweet spot is rapidly shifting from 500GB towards 1TB and greater drives, but 500 GB SSD drives are still a great value for their performance. You need to decide what size works best for your and how much you want to spend, but if you’re thinking about a 250GB or less drive, you should definitely consider future-proofing yourself with a 500GB or larger drive.
If you currently have an internal mechanical hard disk drive, any 2.5 SSD you buy will be faster in every way. If you’re a techie and absolute speed is important for your application, you will want to look at the specifications of each drive your considering to grab the fastest performance. Check out and compare SSD performance on UserBenchmark.com.
SSD is an inherently more reliable technology than mechanical, spinning technology, but solid state drives still fail. Fortunately, they usually fail sooner than later so you can count on a good warranty to keep you running. That being said, there is a lot to be said for a manufacturer that delivers on a long warranty. An excellent example is Samsung that provides the longest 10-Year limited warranty on their SSDs.
We searched computer forums, social media, manufacturer sites, consumer sites, customer review sites and retail sites to find the most popular and highly rated internal solid state drives.
Take a look at our list and see if one of these 2.5 inch SSDs is the best SSD for your needs!
2.5 Inch SSD: Top 5 Best Rated 500 GB SATA III Internal SSD Drives
You may be more familiar with Crucial’s other products, their very popular RAM, but they have also brought their quality and performance to SSD products like the Crucial MX500 CT500MX500SSD1(Z) 500GB 3D NAND SATA 2.5 Inch Internal SSD. Their next-gen Micron 3D NAND technology amps up the efficiency so it uses only a minimal power, runs cooler, runs faster, and runs quieter while still delivering a very high price/performance ratio. Reliability is the key and you can count on this 2.5 inch SSD to be have lasting reliability for keeping family photos and videos, music, and important documents safe and accessible. Crucial’s drives are thoroughly tried, tested, and proven and go through thousands of hours of pre-release validation and dozens of SSD qualification tests to insure their dependability. There are many different system configurations in which you can install this SSD, some more difficult than others, but you will appreciate Crucial’s step-by-step guide that makes installation as easy as possible. The most key factor in startup speed is your drive, and with an SSD you get the fastest data transfers speeds available. Your apps will load nearly instantly and will run quicker and smoother thanks to Crucial’s Dynamic Write Acceleration Technology that uses an adaptable high-speed, single-level cell flash memory. Performance is blistering with sequential reads/writes up to 560/510 MB/s and random reads/writes up to 95K/90K on all file types. One features that often goes unnoticed is Crucial’s Integrated Power Loss Immunity technology that preserves all your saved work if the power unexpectedly gets cut.
2.5 Inch SSD: Features
- 500GB SATA 2.5-Inch internal SSD
- Micron 3D NAND technology increases efficiency so that the drive uses minimal power and runs cooler, faster, and quieter
- Drives experience thousands of hours of pre-release validation, dozens of SSD qualification tests to insure reliable operation
- Reliable enough to store family photos and videos, music, and important documents
- Crucial step-by-step guide makes installation easier and faster
- App performance on load and during operation is faster due to Crucial’s Dynamic Write Acceleration that uses an adaptable high-speed, single-level cell flash memory
- Sequential reads/writes up to 560/510 MB/s and random reads/writes up to 95K/90K on all file types
- Integrated Power Loss Immunity Technology preserves saved work in the event of a power loss
- 5-year limited warranty
- Value priced
- Exceptional performance
- Fast and easy install
- Good 5-Year warranty
- Poor instructions
- Included migration software is not popular
Acknowledge as a reliability leader, the Intel 730 SERIES SSDSC2BP480G4R5 480GB 2.5-Inch Internal Solid State Drive also has uncompromised performance derived by combining factory tuned components and data center DNA. The Intel 730 Series sports a specially qualified 3rd generation Intel controller, performance optimized firmware, 20nm Intel NANA Flash Memory, and factory overclocking to achieve a 50% increase in controller speed and 20% increase in NAND bus speed. With a low 50 microsecond read latency, up to 550 MB/s sequential reads, and random reads up to 86,000 input/output operations per second (IOPS), it can handle the most demanding tasks including digital content creation and extreme gaming. Born of Intel data center operations, it delivers extreme endurance of up to 70GB writes per day for five years compared to a typical industry 20 GB and high efficiency. You can count on consistent compressible and incompressible data type performance alike thanks to Intel’s advanced firmware algorithms. Compatible with Intel Rapid Storage Technology, Intel 730 Series drives in RAID-0 configuration can achieve amazing 1000 MB/s throughput. Achieve high availability, scalability, maximum flexibility, and price/performance with this Intel 730 Series drive.
- 480GB, 20nm MLC, 2.5-Inch, SATA 6GB/s, internal solid state drive
- Achieves a 50% increase in controller speed and 20% increase in NAND bus speed with a specially qualified 3rd generation Intel controller, performance optimized firmware, 20nm Intel NANA flash memory, and factory overclocking
- Use multiple Intel 730 Series drives in RAID-0 configuration along with Intel Rapid Storage Technology to achieve amazing 1000 MB/s throughput
- Less lag with 50µs read latencies and consistently high transfer rates and application loads with up to 550 MB/s sequential reads, 470 MB sequential writes, random reads up to 86,000 IOPS, and random writes up to 74,000 IOPS
- Extreme endurance of up to 70GB of writes per day and high efficiency and consistent performance across all data types
- Reliable performance
- Easy installation
- Industry-leading migration software included
- Durable construction
With speed boosting technologies like TurboWrite and RAPID Mode, the Samsung 750 EVO MZ-750500BW 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD delivers fast and responsive performance under heavy workloads. Its incredible performance credentials include read/write speeds up to 540/520 MB/s that promote quick boot-ups, near-instantaneous application launching, faster data transfer speeds, and smoother operation. Your data will be ultimately secure thanks to the hardware-based AES 256-bit drive encryption engine that secures your data without compromising drive performance. The included Samsung Data Migration Software can clone your old hard disk drive for a near-seamless transition. Get faster multitasking with Samsung’s TurboWrite Technology that uses a high-performance write buffer area to accelerate performance during write operations and optional RAPID mode that reduces performance bottlenecks using PC memory as cache storage. With no moving parts to break or wear down and integrated shock and vibration resistance, this Samsung SSD features a durable, lightweight NAND architecture that can handle the rigors of working on the go. If you operate demanding applications like gaming, graphics, sound design, or data analysis, and more, you need the high performance of a Samsung 750 EVO SSD.
- 500 GB 2.5-Inch SATA III internal SSD
- Read/Write speeds up to 540 MB/s and 520 MB/s respectively
- TurboWrite technology delivers faster write speeds by using a high-performance write buffer area that accelerated performance during writes
- Optional RAPID Mode reduces performance bottlenecks by using unused PC memory as storage cache
- Hardware-based 256-bit AES drive encryption for secure data storage without drive performance compromise
- Shock and vibration resistant featuring a durable, lightweight NAND architecture, and no moving parts to break or wear out
- Easy installation in compatible laptops and desktops and simple upgrading with Samsung Data Migration software
- Samsung Magician software maximizes the performance and lifespan of your SSD letting you navigate the contents of your drive, optimize performance, get new firmware updates, and reformat the drive with Secure Erase
- 3-Year warranty up to 100 Terabytes Written and 1.5 million hours mean time between failure
See Samsung 750 EVO MZ-750500BW 500GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD Customer Reviews >>>
- Quality construction and materials
- Extremely fast performance
- Easy to install
- Reliable with long warranty
- None noted
Get ultimate performance in managing your files along with the reliability and speed of a solid state drive in the SanDisk Extreme PRO-Series SDSSDXPS-480G-G25 480GB 2.5-Inch SATA Solid State Drive. It features a design meant to deliver 24/7 consistent high performance for demanding gaming, development, media applications. Get consistent high performance with super-fast read and write speeds up to 550 MB/s with SanDisk’s exclusive nCache Pro technology. It uses both over-provisioning and over-clocking to achieve consistently fast sequential read/write speeds up to 550/512 MB/s and random read/write speeds up to 100/90K IOPS. The powerful two-tiered architecture caches smaller file writes into the buffer before moving them to the flash array to optimize performance under heavy workloads. Engineered to resist shocks and vibrations it also provides dynamic and static wear leveling to help extend drive life. The included SanDisk SSD Dashboard gives you real-time visibility into drive performance and the included cloning software helps with drive setup, disk analysis, and firmware updates. Integrated drive temperature monitoring throttles the drive to preserve data integrity. Constructed to the highest standards and rigorously tested, you can be confident in the outstanding quality, performance and reliability of this SanDisk SSD.
- 480 GB 2.5-inch SATA Revision 3.0, 6 GB/s, solid state drive
- nCache Pro technology delivers high performance with ultra-fast read/write speeds
- Over-provisioning and over-clocking achieves consistently fast sequential read/write speeds up to 550/512 MB/s and random read/write speeds up to 100/90K IOPS
- Uses powerful two-tiered architecture to optimize performance under heavy workloads by caching smaller file writes into the buffer before moving them to flash array
- With rigorously tested quality, performance, and reliability, the drive is engineered to resist shocks and vibrations and uses dynamic and static wear leveling to help extend drive life
- Integrate high-temperature monitoring preserves data integrity by throttling the drive
- 10-Year limited warranty
- Blazing fast performance
- Easy install
- Reliable storage with excellent warranty
- Very useful included SanDisk utility software
- Poor documentation and online support
Samsung has become a leader in SSD technology and their Samsung 850 PRO MZ-7KE512BW 512GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD is a fast and powerful example. Our favorite drive, it uses Samsung’s 3D VNAND flash to deliver enhanced read/write performance, endurance, and power management efficiency. Designed to handle the heavy workloads of high-end PCS, workstations, and NAS (Network Attached Systems), its powered by the latest V-NAND technology and a robust algorithm-based controller. You get consistent and sustained speeds under heavy workloads and multitasking of 560/530 MB/s sequential reads/writes. Superior endurance under heavy loads allows you to safely store and render 4K videos and 3D data uses by the latest high-end applications. Its refined Error Correction Code (ECC) algorithm and MIX controller generate higher speeds while the improved queued trim enhances system compatibility.
- 512GB SSD, 2.5-inch SATA SSD Revision 3.0, 6 GB/s solid state drive
- Powered by Samsung’s latest V-NAND technology and a robust ECC algorithm and MIX controller that generate higher speeds of 560/530 MB/s sequential read/writes
- Designed to handle the heavy workloads of high-end PCS, workstations, and NAS
- Safely store and render 4K videos and 3D data used by the latest high-end applications
- 5-Year or up to 600 Terabyte Written (TBW) limited warranty
- Boots in seconds
- Easy to install
- Fast performance
- Super compact and lightweight
- None noted
2.5 Inch SSD
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of these internal SSDs? Which 2.5-inch SSD are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
Replacing your existing old-technology drive with a compact, lightweight, and super-fast SSD will make your laptop or desktop boot and operate faster. We sincerely hope that this article has provided you with valuable information that helps you choose the best 2.5 inch SSD for your needs!