If you read most articles about the best tablet for kids you will find that they lean towards specialized tablet computers designed for kids. At first that makes sense, because you probably think it’s the only way to get features like parental controls, great kids educational software, kids games, and kids research software.
Believe it or not, the best tablet for kids may not be a kids tablet at all. If you think you’re going to plop your kid down in front of any kids tablet, even one designed for kids, leave them alone and magically they will be able to use it and enjoy the experience, you’re in for a big letdown. Like most things designed for kids, parental guidance is the only way that your children will get the most out of any tablet.
With that in mind, you might as well get your child a good tablet, not designed specifically for children, and set it up yourself specifically for use by your child. There are many great software titles out there, a lot of them free, that rival software pre-loaded on kids tablets. The advantage is that you get a better tablet that will follow your child for even several years instead of just the few years that specialized tablets are designed for. Plus, your child will be able to do much more with a regular tablet than the more limited kids models.
Not all tablets lend themselves to this theory of the best tablet for kids. You probably shouldn’t spend $500 on an iPad Air or an iPad Mini because even the best children can make a kid mistake that can damage the device and leave you out the $500. That doesn’t mean you need to look for one of the cheap tablets with limited features. It just means that the device should probably be under $100 so that you can replace it if necessary without breaking the bank.
It should also be kid-sized. A 10-inch tablet is great for watching movies and doing other work that adults do, but for kids with child-sized hands, you should consider one closer to 7-inches or less.
Wireless network capability is a great feature that will allow your child to use the tablet anywhere in your home while staying connected to all the great kids’ content that you found for them online.
We all want to protect our children from the pitfalls of the internet and so the ability to put parental controls on the tablet is a must.
What about a camera? Many of the kids-only tablets don’t even come with a camera and yet it is one of the most fun things kids can do with a tablet. Plus, there are many great apps available for tablets with cameras that can take your child’s experience to the next level.
We think we found one of the best tablets for kids and it’s not even designed specifically for kids. It has all the features you’re looking for in a kids tablet with the capability to stay with your child for years. It can also be shared by parents using distinct profiles that allow each user to keep their own content separate.
We’re talking about the Amazon Fire HD 6 Tablet. Billed as the most powerful tablet under $100, it also has plenty of features so that you can configure it for your child.
Take a look and see if this isn’t one of the best kids tablets for your child!
Best Tablet for Kids: Amazon Fire HD 6 Tablet
The Amazon Fire HD 6 tablet is really an amazing device that anyone would love to have and which you can configure for your child. It starts out as a great small tablet that you add a profile to just for your child. Then, use Amazon’s FreeTime with parental controls to protect your child, give your child access to over 5000 kid-friendly titles, use Amazon FreeTime Camera and Photo to take advantage of the Fire HD 6’s front- and rear-facing cameras, give them access to your family’s shared content on Amazon, and so much more!
Let’s look at the features that make this a great choice for your child. First, because this is a mainstream tablet designed for everyone, it has a beautiful color screen, a powerful quad-core processor, it comes in a variety of colors, it has both front- and rear-facing cameras, you get Amazon FreeTime with the option to upgrade to FreeTime Unlimited, revolutionary parental controls, Fling so that your child can show you their amazing content on your big screen TV, individual profiles to give your child their own identity, and fully capable Wi-Fi to connect to your home network.
Like we said, this would be a great tablet for anyone in the family, not just a child, which may make this the perfect tablet for a child. Take a look at all of its great features.
- Brighter HD display featuring 1280×800 high definition LCD display with over a million pixels (252 ppi)
- Faster quad-core processor – running at up to 1.5 GHz with faster graphics engine
- Small and portable so it’s easy to hold with smaller hands
- Front-facing camera perfect for selfies and Skype calls and 2 MP rear-facing camera for high-resolution pictures and 1080p HD video
- Free unlimited storage in Cloud Drive for photos and videos
- New WPS Office integration allows you to easily create and edit documents using Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files
- Individual profiles for each family member including individual email, Facebook and Twitter accounts, settings, page in the book, spot in a movie, and game levels
- Amazon’s family library allows you to link two Amazon accounts so all family members can access apps, games, audio books, books, and your Prime Account
- ASAP (Advanced streaming and Prediction) predicts which content you will want to watch and prepares them for playback
- Five colors to choose from including black, white, cobalt, magenta, and citron
- New Fire OS “Sangria” provides plenty of new features and capability
- Fast web browsing using Amazon’s exclusive cloud-optimized Silk browser, email and calendar support including Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo!, AOL and many more.
- Gorilla glass display is designed to survive in the real world
- Revolutionary parental controls with Amazon FreeTime allows you to create a separate profile for your child and choose which books, apps, games, and videos they can access. You can also set daily limits on usage or restrict them to specific categories like games and videos while allowing them to read anytime they want.
- Get instant access to thousands of apps many of which are free
- Free month of Amazon Prime, Amazon’s amazing subscription service that gives you unlimited streaming of hit movies and TV shows, access to over 1 million songs, a Kindle book a month for free, and free 2-Day shipping on millions of products on Amazon
Amazon Fire HD 6 Tablet Video
- Display: 6-inch HD touchscreen, 1280×800 resolution at 252 ppi, video playback up to 720p (in-plane-switching) technology and advanced polarizing filter
- Size: 6.7 x 4.1 x 0.4 inches (169 x 103 x 10.7 mm)
- Weight: 10.1 ounces (290 grams)
- CPU & Ram: Quad-core [email protected] 1.5 GHz + 2 @ 1.2 GHz, with 1 GB of RAM
- Storage: 8GB (4.5 GB available to user) or 16 GB (11.6 GB available to user) of internal storage
- Battery Life: Up to 8 hours
- Charge Time: Fully charges in under 6 hours using the micro-USB power adapter in the box (slightly longer with other power adapters)
- Wi-Fi Connectivity: Single-antenna Wi-Fi supporting 802.11b/g/n and WEP, WPA, and WPA2 security
- 4G Connectivity: N/A
- Ports: SlimPort enabled USB 2.0 (micro-B connector) port to connect to an HDTV or VGA monitor with adapter or to a PC/Mac computer, or for charging
- Audio: 3.5 mm stereo jack and integrated Dolby Digital Plus speaker
- Content Formats: Kindle (AZW), KF8, TXT, PDF, unprotected MOBI, PRC natively, Audible Enhanced format (AAX), DOC, DOCX, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP, Dolby Digital (AC-3), Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC-3), non-DRM AAC, MP3, MIDI, PCM/WAVE, OGG, WAV, M4V, MP4, AAC LC/LTP, HE-AACv1, HE-AACv2, MKV, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, HTML5, CSS3, 3GP, VP8 (WEBM)
- Sensors: Accelerometer, gyroscope
- Cameras: VGA front-facing and 2.0 MP rear-facing HD camera
- Location Services: Location-based services via Wi-Fi
- Available Colors: Black, White, Cobalt, Magenta, Citron
- Additional Features: External volume controls, built-in Bluetooth with support for A2DP compatible stereo headphones, speakers, microphone, and LE accessories support
- Accessibility Features: Screen Reader, Explore by Touch, and Screen Magnifier, enabling access to the vast majority of Fire tablet features. Screen Reader features IVONA’s award-winning natural language text-to-speech voice. Also includes adjustable font sizes/color, and built-in Oxford dictionary. Learn more
- System Requirements: Fire HD 6 is ready to use right out of the box—no setup, no software to install, no computer required to download content
- Warranty and Service: 1-year Limited Warranty and service included. Optional 1-year, 2-year, and 3-year Extended Warranty available for U.S. customers sold separately. Use of Fire tablet is subject to the terms found here
- In Box: Fire HD 6 tablet, USB 2.0 cable, 5W power adapter, and Quick Start Guide
- Great for kids
- Great value
- Beautiful display
- Small enough for kids hands
- No flash on camera
- Limited on-device storage
- Heavy for a small device
- Sound quality lacking
Best Tablet for Kids Comparison Chart
Liked this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!
What do you think of the Amazon Fire HD 6? Which kids tablet are you planning to buy? Please take a moment to leave a comment below.
Please share if you think others will benefit!
As always, thanks for reading our Best Laptop Central post! We sincerely hope that it has given you valuable information that helps you to find the best tablet for kids!